A Hearty Spanish soup that will change your opinion of Collard Greens.
1 large ham hock
4 dried chorizos, sliced into rounds
3 quarts water
1 27 oz can Collard Greens
3 cans Navy Beans
1 large clove of garlic
4 slices bacon
1 Vidalia Onion
1 Green Pepper
3 Russet Potatoes, cut in 1“ cubes
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon MSG (optional)
- Put 3 quarts of water in large soup pot with the ham hock and sliced chorizos. Cook for 1⁄2 hour on medium.
- While this is going on, dice the green pepper and onions, and peel the potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes, or whatever size you’d like. It’s not important that everything is uniform.
- Cook the bacon in a pan to release the bacon fat to sauté the onion and green pepper in. When the bacon is fully cooked, remove it from the pan and enjoy it while you make the rest of the soup
- When the 1⁄2 hour has passed, add the large can of collard greens, the drained three cans of navy beans and the crushed garlic. Turn the heat to low. Stir, and simmer on low for another 1⁄2 hour.
- At this point, sauté the onion and green pepper in the bacon fat, until transparent, and then add to the simmering soup.
- When your 1⁄2 hour timer goes off, add the potatoes to the soup, and cook for another 1/2 hour, or until the potatoes are done.
- Take the pot off the heat and remove the ham hock. Use a knife and fork to get all of the ham out of the hock. Add the ham to the soup, and discard the rest.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. I never add pepper, but do add about a teaspoon of salt, and a teaspoon of MSG. That enhances the flavor a lot. But the best flavor enhancement is to let it sit in the refrigerator over night.
If you can stand to not eat a bowl right then and there, you will find that it has a much greater depth of flavor the next morning.
Keywords: Soup, Spanish, Collard Greens, Hearty