A light and summery side dish that takes just a few minutes to prepare.
Salt to taste
3⁄4 cup orzo
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
1⁄2 pound ripe tomatoes, peeled (if you want) and cut into 1⁄2 inch cubes.
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/3 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons loosely packed shredded fresh basil or Italian parsley
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a pot, and add some salt to taste.
- Add the orzo, and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Do not overcook.
- While the orzo is cooking, heat some oil in a small pan on medium heat, and add the garlic.
- Stir it for about 30 seconds, but DO NOT BROWN IT.
- Add the tomatoes and sprinkle it with salt, pepper, and the red pepper flakes.
- Stir it, and bring it to a boil.
- When the 10 minute timer goes off, strain the orzo, and put it back into the pot.
- Add the orzo to the basil or parsley and tomato mixture and stir.
- Serve as a side.